Pages

Friday, November 5, 2010

a day in bangkok

The bus from Pakse brought me to Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand. By now i'm used to border crossings by now, and my system is clean from any canabis. I met a Filipina on the way, who works in Laos, in a coffee plantation. She was very generous with information and advise on how to go around Bangkok, and even paid for my dinner (shrimp with broccoli for 40 baht-cheap no!). Too bad i didn't know about a faster bus to Thailand before. I booked fr Pakse, and the trip will take 12 hrs, instead of 8.


Grand Palace Museum


bantay sa palace

Cass and me


I arrived in Mochit Bus Station at dawn. I was having a hard time calling fr my mobile phone, and i was supposed to meet a mutual friend in Bangkok to show me around. Thankfully, her call got through my phone, and we met at a pier. Her name's Cass, a Thai archeologist who works for the Princess, and she really did a good job showing me a small slice of the vibrant city.

street scene
Only a local would know that the best way to wriggle out of  Bangkok's congested streets is to take a boat across the river, for as cheap as 3 baht. No more stressing about how to get fr place to place. I had Cass with me. :)

We had breakfast at a riverside restaurant, and went to the Grand Palace Museum. It's a big compound, too big to be lugging around 16 kilos of luggage around your shoulder, but that i did. And the scorching heat was overpowering. But it made for a bright blue sky, perfect for photos, so i swallowed my complaints and just shot picture after picture. We manage to stow my duffel at Cass' friend's house, and saw more of the city unencumbered and light.                                       
                                                                        



At my request, we went to Chinatown, and saw one of the oldest temple in the city. Cass was a true tour guide who walked me through the murals and history of her beloved country. I asked her how she liked having a king, and said they were essential ambassadors of their country, without them to show potential colonists how prosperous and independent their country is, they would've been invaded by now. Interesting...

Lunch at another riverside resto. Walked through their oldest university.

I had a couple of hours to shop, bargains were everywhere. My haggling skills were put into good use.

My tired feet and shoulders got a treat as i got an authentic Thai massage. I didn't realize that a small woman could have so much strength as she twisted my limbs in impossible positions! She laughed as i moaned in pain. A professional sadist. And i a masochist.

full moon by the river
I only saw a glimpse of Khao San Road and its lively neighborhodd, full of foreigners, bars pounding dance tunes. I looked at it wistfully, mentally noting that i'll definitely go back to check it out.

Dinner of tom yum at khao san area for 40 baht. and a beer.

Took the airport express bus, late enough for a smooth and fast ride to the airport. The flight back home to Manila went without incident.

End of the line. Trip finished.

I'm already daydreaming of my trip back to Thailand, to stay longer to get to discover the little gems that are not so famous but just as beautiful.

Who wants to go? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment