Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Part 5: From a Bad Start to a Good Finish (Bicol Tour 2011)

Day 5: Chasing Butandings (Donsol to Manila)

While the rest of the group left early for their flight home, Lyra and I grabbed our masks, snorkels and fins and went to swim with the whale sharks. We were joining four more people on the boat, whose purpose was to shoot video of the butandings with swimmers for DOT. Ruben, the videographer, was happy to find out that Lyra and I are good swimmers.

It took a while before we found our first whale shark. After about 40 minutes, we found a group of swimmers chasing after one in the shallows. We wore our gear, and at the BIO's signal, jumped in the water. The visibility was clear, about 10 meters. “Look down!” said our guide, and swimming toward us was a 15-ft butanding. There was a scramble that followed but soon it was Lyra and I who were in front, kicking with all the power we had as we swim over it. I even had the nerve to dive under and get closer, but I was afraid it would dive deep and disappear (which didn't happen, because it was already at the bottom) or it might decide to come up and hit me. Honestly, I couldn't imagine why anyone would even attempt to touch one of those creatures. They were so huge and intimidating, plus I remembered Gali's and LA's wounds from getting too close. I kept a respectful distance.

Nevertheless, my adrenaline was high after that first swim. We were eager for more!



I gave my camera to the BIO (Butanding Interaction Officer) the first time (he wasn't able to get good footage), but i tried to record my next two interactions myself. I think I had a few decent shots, particularly when Lyra gave a thumbs up sign while we were chasing after it. The other butanding we saw was 25 feet! With a mouth a wide as a car! That chase was frantic, there was a lot of jostling to get a good position, until someone almost took my mask off I had to stop. In the succeeding swims, I left my camera on the boat, adjusted my snorkel to the other side so no water would come in, and wore my paddles on. They made my strokes more powerful that I was able to swim ahead of the butanding. Great view! With no fear of getting hit by the tail. It was however exhausting after a few more chases. And it was time to go back anyway. We got one last interaction near the tourism center, but the water was murky and you only get to see a few meters ahead.

We got back just in time to shower, grabbed our bags then dropped dead in the van. We slept the whole way. Had lunch at the airport. Slept on the plane. Then took a cab home.

On our last night, we made a toast: Lei toasted to “good company,” Choy toasted to “success,” LA toasted to our next adventure “Matnog,” I toasted to “positive thinking,” Mel toasted to "new friends" and Lyra toasted to “Rhona Agtay,” who sold her the tickets. So Rhonalyn, you were there in spirit. I wonder how you could have chased the butandings though? It required a bit of a cardio workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment